Autism Spectrum Disorder Children & Youth Transition Support Program
Program Description: This program provides community based supports for children and youth ages 8-18 (or up to their 18th birthday) who have a diagnosis of High Functioning Autism or Asperger Syndrome for successful community integration and transitions.
- To assist children and youth as they transition through elementary school to high school;
- To develop a partnership with families to help stabilize children and youth both at home and at school;
- To provide case management and support with system navigation;
- To promote/preserve the emotional health of children, youth and their family;
- To support families in enhancing and strengthening existing parenting skills;
- To support and enhance parental advocacy skills to help families develop relationships within their larger community;
- To support children and youth in developing self-advocacy and other skills; and
- To educate the child/youth and their peers and to provide peer mentoring.
Program Requirements (Eligibility):
- A diagnosis of High Functioning Autism or Asperger’s Syndrome;
- Ages 8-18 (or up to their 18th birthday); and
- Must be a resident of Oxford or Elgin County.
Referral and Intake Process:
- Referrals to the Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Children & Youth Transition Support Program are accepted from client/families, as well as community agencies and services.
- Families who contact Wellkin directly are screened for program eligibility and will be asked to provide medical/psychological assessment reports that confirm the diagnosis. The DSO refers eligible individuals to the local agencies delivering the APS Program, following the prioritization process and within available program resources.
Contact: For more information, please contact Kathy Deadman, ASD Children & Youth Transition Support Worker at 1-877-539-0463 extension 291.
Program Brochure: Autism Spectrum Disorder Children & Youth Transition Support Program