Respite is a flexible, periodic, short-term break from caregiving, for the purpose of rest and renewal for the family.
- Respite services provide the caregiver(s) of an individual with an exceptional need some time away from the caregiver responsibilities.
- Respite services also support the wellbeing of the caregiver(s), the individual, as well as the family system.
Eligibility Criteria and Referral Process
- In Oxford County, self-directed respite funding is available to qualified families caring for a child/youth with a Developmental Disability or Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- The child/youth must reside in Oxford County.
- The child/youth must be under the age of 18.
- Respite funding is provided to Wellkin, by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services, and all funding approvals and allocations are determined through the Oxford Respite Network.
- The level and length of respite services will be determined based on the need of the child/youth/family, as well as available resources.
- Please note, respite is not for the purpose of childcare while working, or treatment and is not to be used as a substitute for another necessary service or support, including crisis services.
- To apply for Respite Funding in Oxford County please click the ‘Oxford County Respite Referral Form’-Oxford County Respite Referral Form
For more information, contact our Respite Coordinator at 1-877-539-0463, extension 230.