For Children in grades 3-6
This program is designed to provide a treatment alternative for children with long-standing behavioural and emotional difficulties who struggle to function successfully in a regular classroom setting or other alternative programs. At Pittock Day Treatment, we integrate academics and social skill development through various treatment options.
Children who are referred to this program often present a number of complex needs, for example; Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, severe behavioural problems and / or isolation from their peer group etc.
- We focus on the strengths of each child
- We teach adaptive and coping skills to improve social interaction
- We promote self-esteem and build self-confidence
- We teach strategies to manage feelings
- We help parents to understand their child(ren) difficulties
- We gradually integrate the child(ren) into a the regular school system
These goals are achieved by:
- Social and behavioural assessment
- Training of the use of basic social skills (communication, interaction, making friends, managing feelings, learning problem solving strategies, getting along with others)
- Various treatment interventions: role play, collaborative problem solving, recreational/therapeutic games
- Family meetings
- An academic curriculum
- Child(ren) must be in grade 3-6
- Family must reside in Oxford County
- Enrolled in a school in Oxford County (Thames Valley District School Board, or London Catholic District School Board in Oxford County)
REFERRAL and INTAKE PROCESS:
Referrals to this program are done through CSCN (Community Services Coordination Network). Families are then screened for program requirements by staff at Wellkin. Families may be asked to provide documentation such as; behavioural, social, psychological/psychiatric assessments that to help establish the needs and strengths of each child.
For more information, contact The Pittock Day Treatment Program at: 519-539-0463 ext 254